Art Downing EdgeWorks Will Professionally Sharpen:
• Kitchen Knives and Cutlery • Scissors • Garden Tools • Almost Any Hand-Tool
On-Site & Mobile Sharpening Services For Northern California: Sonoma County, San Francisco, Santa Rosa,
Sebastopol, Napa, Petaluma, Cotati, San Rafael and Fairfax
The artisan at the heart of EdgeWorks Sharpening Service is an old school perfectionist, compelled by the values of his grandfather. He handles every edged instrument or tool entrusted to his care as more valuable than his own. It's beyond pride in workmanship, it's more of an obsession to make the edge fulfill the potential of the design, material and manufacture that created it. It's an old school reverence for quality and appreciation of excellence. Bandaids and care in handling his finished work are recommended.
For food service venues & sharpening on location, please click here
Click here to see where I am working right now. If I am in your neighborhood, feel free to stop by.
"I have been very happy with the quality of workmanship Art has put into my knives. Being a chef, I use my knives in one week as most people do in one year at home. When Art sharpens my knives they hold an edge well and he doesn't grind them to nothing when he sharpens them. I would recommend his services to anyone who cares about their knives and their long life." - Chef Nancy Brunner, Swiss Hotel, Sonoma, CA
"Art Downing, aka Edgeworks, is a very consummate knife sharpener. He knows his types & how they 'need' to be handled & sharpened. He has been sharpening Cafe Sarafornia's, & my personal knives for at least ten years. Never have I been even maybe unhappy ! Always very sharp knives."
Please contact me If you have any further questions. Drake Dierkhising, Café Sarafornia, Calistoga- Napa Valley
Art Downing, professional knife sharpener, sharpens cutlery in 3 stages. The first stage creates or restores an appropriate bevel, the second and third hone and polish this beveled surface with a progression of ever finer abrasives. The result is a razor sharp edge with a mirror finish, that will endure a lot of heavy use.
Custom bevels and alternative finishes are also available.
For scissors and other shears, Art uses professional equipment to produce edges that are 2-3 times sharper than new from the factory.
- Wednesday evening, 4:00 to 8:00 at Bolinas Road and Elsie Lane, Fairfax, CA (seasonal) May throgh September
- Thursday evening, 4:00 to 7:30 at the hub park (seasonal) June 6th through August 29th
- Thursday mornings, 8:00 am - 1:00 pm year-round at the Marin Civic Center, San Rafael
- Napa Farmers Market: Tuesdays, May - October, 7:30 am - noon Oxbow Parking lot (east side). (seasonal) May through October
- Saturday afternoon, 2:00 to 5:30 in Walnut Park (seasonal) May 18 through November 23rd
- Wednesday morning, 8:30 to Noon (alternate weeks) at the Wells Fargo Center For The Arts
- Saturday morning, 8:30 to Noon at the Wells Fargo Center For The Arts
- Sunday morning, 10:00 to 2:00 (alternate weeks, see calendar) in McKinley Plaza (seasonal)
- Friday morning, 9:00 to Noon at Depot Park (year round)
- Broadway Quilts 2: to 5:00 the fIrst Friday of each month
Stonestown San Francisco
- Sunday morning, 8:00 to 1:00 (alternate weeks, see calendar) at Stonestown Galleria parking lot at 3251 20th Ave, San Francisco
For food service venues: Art will work within your schedule to get your knives serviced between meals. He will show up on time and take your tools only as far away as your parking lot. Contact Art for references and an introductory demo visit (5 knives sharpened for free). *anywhere on my route or within 10 miles of regularly scheduled venue.
TESTIMONIAL: “De Loach Vineyards has been using Edgeworks exclusively to keep our kitchen knives and tools sharp and ready for action. Art Downing is a great resource since he’ll come right to our location and sharpen all the winery knives and each chef’s personal collection. We recommend him as being reliable, fast and reasonably priced. He’s also full of advice about knife brands and self-sharpening tips.” - Cyndicy Coudray, Hospitality/Culinary Director, De Loach Vineyards
Call 707.694.3721 or email Art for more information or
to set up an appointment to get your knives sharpened today.
Also check out Art's calendar for locations where you can get your knives sharpened while you wait.
Please type in your gift certificate message below and click the Buy Now button to pay via PayPal. You can select any dollar amount and you do NOT need a PayPal account.